FLEMING CABIN IN RED TRABUE NATURE RESERVE
A small artifact of Dublin history is tucked away in a corner at the west end of the park, a log cabin rescued from the progression of development and given a quiet home where we can imagine the hard life and dignity of the pioneers who came before us. You can read more about the Mary and Daniel Fleming cabin.
Mary and Daniel Fleming Cabin
Like most of those in Dublin, the Flemings were farmers and did not have a lot of money. What they had was land and the freedom to do what they wanted to do with little interference. Mary and Daniel Fleming’s cabin, built in 1865, was located very close to the site of the present main Dublin Post Office on Emerald Parkway and Rings Road. Rings Road used to go straight east and west, but when it was connected with Woerner-Temple, a small, vacant farm house needed to be torn down to build the new road. When the demolition crew took off the siding, they found it had been covering a log cabin. The City of Dublin was able to take possession of the cabin which was disassembled, the pieces numbered and stored until a new site could be found for the building.
The cabin was reassembled at the Red Trabue park, close to the Post Road entrance. The reconstructed cabin is a little smaller than the original, according to Marian Thomas, who donated the cabin in her name and that of her late husband Frank. “The cabin is a little smaller today” because of some termite damage in the wood pieces that were not included in the reconstruction and the roof is different, according to Marian. Two photographs accompany this article and may illustrate this point; a current photo from the park and a photograph with Mary and Daniel Fleming obtained from Jim Richards, a Dublin native and Dublin Historical Society member.
The following are notes from the Fleming land abstract provided by Marian Thomas:
- Abstract filed and signed 1-1-1846
- 1-21-1850 Moses Davis and wife Matilda Putman deeded to Mary Putman 2 acres (daughter)
- Mary Putman to Gideon Shipman deed filed 5-29-1872
- Gideon Shipman and Maria, wife, to Angeline Vining deed 5-29-1872
- William Vining and Angeline Vining to Clara Virginia Windle deed 1-19-1874
- Clara Dwindle, John husband, deed to 1-19-1878 to Francis Riley and I.N. Hansbraugh-then deed 5-10-1879 to Luther Davis
- Wm. Waddle to Mose Davis deed filed 4-2-1833. It was signed 12-22-1830.
- In abstract Moses Davis and wife Matilda deed to Mary Fleming 7-9-1868 known as Mary Putman Homestead
- After 1868 known as Mary Fleming Homestead
- 4-11-20 Mary Fleming
- 6-1-25 Matilda Groves
- 3-5-65 F. F. Thomas
- 11-7-66 F.A. Thomas’ wife Ruth
- 3-1-77 Ruth E. Thomas deeded after Frank’s death
- 7-9-92 Frank F. Thomas deeded from Ruth on her death
- 6-19-98 Frank F. Thomas trust; Maredeth Thomas, Trustee, up to present time (as of 12-13-05)
- Log cabin given to City of Dublin by Frank F. Thomas family in 2001 or 2002