Linworth is halfway between Worthington and Dublin, and this community, which formerly was named Elmwood, changed its name to Linworth, taking the “Lin” from Dublin and the “Worth” from Worthington!
Deborah A. Black writes in the Horch Family History, in the “Memories” publication of the Dublin Historical Society, 1997, that the intersection of Sawmill Road and Route 161 was known as Tollgate Corner. “In the late 1800’s, some men from Dublin, Elmwood (the early name for Linworth), and Worthington wanted a better road. They formed the Dublin-Worthington Turnpike Company, issued stock and built a hard-surface road. They installed a tollgate at Sawmill road and collected three cents from any person who traveled this road. The exceptions were those persons going to church or a funeral. The road was sold to the county commissioners and became a free road in 1903.”